What I have learned:
- Although it seems that the time, change, and energy to create a life is ridiculously challenging, it still doesn't measure up to the price of a life.
- Pregnancy is not for the faint of heart. So, if you have a "faint heart" like I did, be prepared to be humbled when you become pregnant.
- You are not the only one struggling through the pregnancy - your husband is, too and he needs to be appreciated and loved for being so patient and accommodating.
- Morning sickness is too fluffy of a term.
- There is little to no dignity in pregnancy.
- Oddly enough, pregnancy has taught me more about self-worth than anything else.
- Being pregnant gives you the opportunity to be on the receiving end of unforgettable kindness and service.
- 9 months will never drag on longer than when you are pregnant.
- In my earlier months of pregnancy, I went through so much anxiety about the healthy development of my baby. I learned to depend upon God completely and have complete faith that it was in His hands and whatever happened was His will for me and my family.
- In the right conditions (a healthy marriage), a pregnancy can bring you and your spouse even closer together.
- This child is ours forever. No matter what happens, because of our temple marriage, he is sealed to us for time and all eternity.
The things I will miss from being pregnant:
- Knowing that the safest place for your child is inside you. It feels like an incredible godly trust
- Having an excuse to indulge cravings
- The excitement of the impending addition to your family and the discussion of your hopes and dreams for your child
- Seeing your belly shift and move and watching it grow bigger everyday (especially in the last month)
- Being constantly asked how you are doing and feeling
- Not having to wear a coat when it's cold outside because baby keeps you warm
- Hearing a heart beat inside of you that is not your own
- Having a constant excuse to call upon God for help, endurance and perseverance
Things I will not miss from being pregnant:
- Insomnia
- Morning sickness so bad you want to cry all the time (like having the flu for months)
- Going to the bathroom at night every 1 1/2 to 2 hours (which has been happening for 6 months straight)
- Hair falling out
- Skin breakouts
- Long dark hair sprouting on your chin and neck (I told you, this is honesty time)
- Numbers on the scale you never thought you would ever see
- Swelling
- The ongoing cycle of stretch marks appearing, depressing you, fading away, and new ones taking their place
- Waiting and waiting
- Hormones from the high heavens
- Back pain, hip pain, joint pain, foot pain
- Heartburn and acid reflux
- The weight of it all
- Feeling like your body doesn't belong to you ever
- Rude and/or inappropriate advice which usually comes from old people (I'm all for polite and appropriate advice!)
- Fatigue
- Waddling/walking slow
- Being too hot, frequent night sweats
- Having your body kicked and prodded from the inside
Seeing the incredibly fast change in my body during my pregnancy (weight gain, especially) could easily depress me but I have chosen to be proud of how I look and how far I have come, rather than get discouraged by comparing myself to other "skinnier" and what I deem as "prettier" pregnant women. All bodies are different and every woman's body handles pregnancy differently. I have chosen to be unafraid about showing people what I look like to demonstrate that pregnancy can be a beautiful and empowering thing if you approach it from the right perspective. On bad days when I get discouraged, I pretend I am my best girlfriend and tell myself a) remember how badly you wanted this? b) since when has comparing ourselves to others ever yielded the appropriate response? c) girl, you got it going on and you are beautiful d) this isn't going to last forever and e) it's all worth it. This pep talk is always effective, and not to mention my husband tells me constantly the right things I need to hear as well. I'm just so grateful for the things I have experienced and learned and I can't wait to be overwhelmed all over again once this baby comes!
No comments:
Post a Comment