Sleeping next to Lambchop
Sitting on daddy's lap
We're having so much fun with these little guys. When I began this whole duck thing, Andrew was really apprehensive and told me that he didn't want much to do with it. That has changed drastically; he's crazy about these little fluffy balls of butter and sunshine. They are a lot easier to take care of then I thought! The only problem is poop. They poop a lot. I have to clean their cage out around 2-3 times a day. But they aren't noisy, they're easy-going, they keep themselves clean (however they are messy eaters - especially when they get special treats like strawberries or lettuce), and they smell so good. They are not to be compared with real babies - if I could have one, believe me, I would! These are definitely allowing me to practice my maternal instincts.
I should also mention that they need a lot of attention. It didn't take long for Andrew and I to figure out that they have 3 very distinctive calls: one where they just talk to each other, one where they get excited, and one where they are like, "where are you! I miss you!" I've realized that Napoleon does this the most - he has the most separation anxiety. When we leave, he does it. When we're talking particularly loud and he can hear our voices from the other side of the house, he does it. It's pretty cute.
Here are some interesting things I have discovered about Pekin ducks:
1) They are domestic waterfowl. In other words, I can't "let them free." That's considered animal cruelty. They were bred by the Chinese to be fast-growing and temperate meat birds. They can't even take care of their own young. Just like dogs have been bred to be domestic, so have they - just for different purposes.
2) They are precocial animals which means that they can feed themselves and take care of themselves since birth - for the most part. I don't have to hand feed them and I don't have to clean them often - they are very clean. In fact, within a week of living in their "home" they have started to only poop in corners and on the sides of the cage, with a few exceptions.
3) They imprint. All waterfowl imprint, as well as a few other species of birds. The imprint takes place 6-12 hours after hatching where the animal will "latch" on to its caregiver as its parent. Once the imprint has occurred, the animal genuinely believes it is the same as its caregiver. The known reasons for imprinting is for feeding and survival. It is an adaptation - the babies follow their mommy and are able to instinctively eat as they go along. This is unlike other birds, where the parents have to bring food to the young themselves. Waterfowl typically produce a much bigger brood, so there is no way a mommy and a daddy duck could bring enough food to feed 10-12 hatchlings. The imprint has occurred for my ducklings - they follow Andrew, my sister Stephanie, and I around.
4) The first week of their lives, they follow with their ears, not their eyes. It takes around a week to ten days for a duckling to memorize the face of their parent/s. In the meantime, they will follow the sound/quack of their caregivers' voice. When they follow us, we have to keep talking so they don't get lost.
5) Ducks are emotional, or so I have read. So far, I completely agree. They need lots of cuddle and play time. I'm trying to get them used to being outside and further away from me, that way they can become more independent and learn how to gather food for themselves, and be able to be outside without freaking out if one of us isn't there.
These are just a few things I've learned/observed. While they are young, they have been sleeping in our room with us. We are sleeping on a mattress on the floor and I put their enclosure in such a way so they can see me. Every time I wake up in the night, I simply open my eyes and they are there staring at me. I'm worried they are even sleeping! They're so funny.
No comments:
Post a Comment