Pages

Goodbye, BYU

Monday, June 20, 2011

Since my ducks are still in the process of hatching (it's taking much longer than I anticipated), I thought I would blog a goodbye to a special "someone" named... BYU. 

Dear BYU,

Let's take a stroll down memory lane, shall we? I remember when I was a high school student. My sophomore year, I had no idea where I was going to go to school. Junior year, I hoped more than anything that I would go to BYU but I didn't think I would get in; it was worth a shot. Senior year, I transferred to another school which depressed me to no end and my grades reflected that and yet, I applied to you anyway and I GOT IN. I couldn't believe it. I remember getting the letter and taking it into my bedroom and opening it in secret. When I read that I was accepted, I cried and cried! I thought, "Wow! Even when I don't believe in myself, BYU does."
I was so excited to meet you! I thought I would major in elementary education. I even declared my major as a little freshman. My first semester I was taking 17 credits (thanks to my dad who insisted on it). I had no idea that was an extremely heavy workload for a newbie. Within a few weeks my grades were plummeting, even with sincere effort. I was too scared to get help so I instead decided to hang out with my best friends - from Link and Zelda to Tidus and the rest of the Final Fantasy X gang - yes, video games. They were my escape from reality. I stopped going to class and I had to stop caring! MAN. Fun times... Second semester yielded a similar result. It just wasn't working out between you and I. I didn't understand you then and you definitely didn't understand me.
I went off and did my own thing. I went to dental assisting school, got a great job for a few years, and then met my now husband who encouraged me when we were dating to reapply. At the time I was considering going to UVU. I never thought you would take me back because of how poorly I performed! And yet, YOU DID. You kept believing in me! What did I do when I found out? I cried and cried again - tears of joy, of course. I attended 2 semesters and 1 term within 2 years and did AMA-ZA-ZING! I can tell you are so proud of me.
I just want to tell you that I will miss you. Your campus is beautiful, the professors and instructors I had were fantastic, and you introduced me to my husband - WIN, WIN, WIN. Thank you. I hope you like the decal I put on my car. So long, BYU.  

-Marcie


I took some pictures on campus this last week as mementos: 

These are the flowers I watched bloom this term...




And these are the mountains I will miss...






2 comments:

  1. Marcie! I will miss you. Don't forget all your good times bird watching and chatting with me in Biology in your favorite semester! Have so much fun on your new adventure :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelene, you are so sweet. I will miss you, too!

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS